Re: procmail repeating messages

2002-02-26 01:47:09
"Mike Loiterman" <mike(_at_)ascendency(_dot_)net> writes:
I'm trying to use procmail to filter my messages.

I have installed procmail and it works correctly, BUT when I have it
set ast the MDA via Mlocal in sendmail.cf or invoke it via a .forward
file, I get endless copies of the any message that I receive.  The same
messages just keep coming in over and over.

I have this in my .forward file:
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #user"

When you tell sendmail to use procmail as the local mailer, you should
not use a .forward file to invoke procmail, as that overrides the
local mailer.

and I have this as my .procmailrc file:
    #Set on when debugging
    VERBOSE=off

Uh, why aren't you following the comment's instructions and setting
VERBOSE to on?

    #Replace `mail' with your mail directory (Pine uses mail, Elm uses Mail)
    MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

    #Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
    PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

    LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

You have a logfile; does it contain any entries relevant to delivering
the message with nothing in its Subject: to your mailspool?

If I send two messages, one with 'test' in the subject and one with
nothing in the subject, mail with 'test' in the subject is correctly
routed to the $HOME/Mail directory but after wards I just keep getting
the message with nothing in the subject OVER AND OVER again until I
manually delete it off the server.

What does sendmail's log (probably /var/log/maillog) say about this
message?

Philip Guenther