Re: testing for existence of a file without a fork

2002-05-02 19:01:22
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 07:41:42PM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
There are some servers on it where touch -c exits 1 if the file doesn't
exist, but incoming mail delivery processes happen on one where it exits 0.
I don't know the names of the OSes; uname -a doesn't say anything
informative.

Interesting again. A system where touch -c doesn't do what it should, and
uname -a does not provide the OS name. I'd think that would be non-POSIX
compliant, though I'm not familair enough with POSIX to make that claim. Just
out of curiosity, does uname -s not return useful info? (One would think if -a
doesn't work, -s wouldn't either, but then one doesn't expect -a to not tell
you that info.)

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       http://andrew.pure-chaos.com
"If you're not pissed off at the world then you're just not paying attention."