Re: formail problem with leading comma in subject

2002-05-14 06:21:11
Sean, thanks for your reply.

Here's the condition we use for this recipe. (I also checked the recipe
again, and it actually sends the email to two internal addreses.  One of
the addresses is forced to go through our email srveillance system, the
other is the second address, where we've seen this issue.) I'm also
including the entire recipe so you can see everhthing that's going on:

:0
* ^From:.*<vendor address(_at_)vendor(_dot_)domain>
{
   :0c:
   local-file

   :0 fhw
   | cat - ; \
   echo "----------"

   :0 w
   | formail  -i 'From: <internal address>' \
   | $SENDMAIL <surveillance address> \
                <other internal address>
}

FTR, you know that -i will retain the original From: header as Old-From:,
right?

I didn't know that.  Should it make a difference (it doesn't apear to
make a difference)?

formail doesn't send email to anyone it processes what you pass into it,
and passes that processed data to it's output.

I understand that, now, and I can see how it works in this recipe
(formail changes 'From:' header and passes the modified email to
$SENDMAIL).

Q: what is your MTA?  What if you redirect this message to a file, then
manually, at a shell prompt, redirect it into your MTA with the same
invocation syntax?

Our MTA is sendmail (standard Solaris setup).  I'll have to try your
suggestion and let you know how it goes.

I'm guessing if it's an issue with anything, it it an issue with your MTA.

I'll look into that issue, but I'm not sure that's the answer.  Here's
why: This same recipe works fine with an older version of formail (with
procmail v3.10).  We verified this by including the absolute path before
the formail command to foce it to use the old version.  We are making an
effort to upgrade, but can't finish until all of our users have signed
off on the new version.

Another question:  Is there perhaps a compile-time option that might
impact this issue?

Thanks again for your help,
Justin

--