RE: Sending emails with attachments

2002-05-23 13:29:13
At 14:37 2002-05-23 +0100, Edward Wildgoose did say:
I no one able to offer me any advice on sending an email with an attachment please?

        mailto
        metamail
        mimencode
        mpack

Using mailto, which sadly doesn't support piping the message to stdout (at least with the ver I have, but then, I don't _use_ the tool anyway):

( echo ~r /path/mainbody ; echo ~* ; echo 0 ; echo /path/binaryfile ; \
        echo ~w /path/someintermediatefile ; echo ~q ) \
        | mailto -s "some subject" recipient

Take it from there using formail to tweak it.

One could also write a perl, C, or whatever program to emit simple MIME encoding as needed.

Figure out how to construct your message, then sending it is easy. Remember, procmail doesn't _make_ messages, and most certainly not MIME ones.