Re: Sending emails with attachments

2002-05-23 13:37:14
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Edward Wildgoose wrote:

I am guessing that this ought to be in the FAQ by now, however, a quick squiz
at the archives is not turning up much so here goes:

I am building an auto-responder which should email back a file attachment to
the sender ("image/tiff" generally).  The reply message should be a
multi-part with a plain text section explaining that there is a file attached
(otherwise some people think they just got a blank email....) this will be
static text, and the attachment itself, which updates every few hours
(usually a tiff format image file, ie content type "image/tiff")

I would be grateful for any pointers to either:

a) quick way to generate the message body ready for piping directly to
sendmail
b) demo script for using mailto or similar

./mpack -s "The subject"  -o mimefile.out  pic.gif
sed '/^Subject/d;/^This is/,/via anonymous/d' mimefile.out |
  cat file.text - | formail ... | sendmail -i ...

        Notes:
        1>  mpack(1) makes Subject line that you do not want if you
            add text to the message.
        2>  mpack like the add the banner: "This is a MIME encoded..."

        Other command:

metasend -b  -e base64 -f pic.gif -m "Image/gif; name=pic.gif" -o mimefile.out
cat file.text mimefile.out | formail .... | sendmail ....

        Notes:
        1>  Here you do not need patch by sed(1).
        2>  metasend(1) can biuld header more reach then mpack - I do not
            like it because I want to add the text.
        3>  the "-b" means batch;  the two programs are nagger whene
            working with stdiout.

Bye,
 Udi