Re: virtual mail rules

2003-01-06 14:02:33
At 20:29 2003-01-06 +0200, Stelios Asmargianakis did say:

The new mail accounts are under /home/myusername/mail and ofcourse the default mail that works is under sendmail path (/var/mail/myusername).
I have already make a forward and procmailrc file under my home account but
nothing. The filters are working only for the main account.

.. which is, uh, the account which you have the procmailrc under.

What "account" do the other messages get delivered to? Ask you admin about that.

I have made a contact with the administrator and he told me that he doesn't
have any solution about that.
Any detailed suggestions?

1. You should avoid using "admin@" as a regular email account.

2. Search the procmail archives for "virtual". That might include reading responses to YOUR PREVIOUS INQUIRY ON THIS SAME TOPIC.

3. Get more information from your admin about how the virtual accounts are configured, then do some research (incl. additional archive searches) on those individual programs. If they're virtual POP accounts, you're out of luck unless you can get the admin to set up aliases to invoke programs (or, you could use fetchmail [not part of procmail] to retrieve the messages from the POP/IMAP mailboxes and pass them into procmail - but then, you'd need to redeliver them to a POP/IMAP mailbox - unlikely the same one you downloaded them from). Of course, pursuant to #2, I've already pointed this stuff out.

4. Alternative to #3, set up your own mailhost and configure your mail so that you actually have control over it.