Re: Some date checking code.

2003-05-14 02:07:07
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:12:38PM -0600, Daryle A. Tilroe wrote:
Dallman Ross wrote:

Date: Thu,  8 May 2003 14:02:40 --0400

What's with the "--"?  Is that even legit?  Is that the
same as "+0400" :-).  Actually, come to think of it, I
believe I am fine the above since the first "-" will just
get absorbed in the ".*"

Hell no, it's not legit.  But so what?  It's from my stockbroker,
and they've been sending headers that way ever since I've been
looking (two years).  I don't suppose you'd advise me to /dev/null
a notice of a margin call.  :-)

One of my points is that the standards are loosely adhered to.
You need to be careful about what you do with your own strictness
and what decisions you make with your mail.  As I said, that was
from *good* mail.  If you hope to catch spammers on adherence
to standards, well, an indecent chunk of them will slip right
by.

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:04:20 GMT
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 8:33:47 PDT

Are these RFC legit?  I would think that an English abbreviation
instead of a numeric UTC (which, incidentally, is what GMT is now
known as) offset may not be but I am not sure.  I suppose I could
just throw them in a big OR with the valid numeric offset but
I not sure I would trust email with a text only offset.

They are, unfortunately, legit.  See RFC2822.

Regarding your proposed "( |$)", a tab would also be perfectly
legit.  One of my currently archived (last-100) good pieces
of mail has tabs in the Date: header, albeit not before the
TZ info.

--
dman