Re: Exceeding LINEBUF with dccproc

2003-06-07 11:03:13
Unfortunately, though, I get several message built up in the queue after a
period of time with the following error:
--- qmail log -----
2003-06-06 12:34:54.393122500 delivery 41273: deferral:
procmail:_Exceeded_LINEBUF/
And the content of these messages was what?
Spam, essentially.  The only ones that I've ever seen return this error have
been HTML e-mails the size of a small webpage (a few paragraphs with font
manipulation, etc.).

I've tried using a higher value of LINEBUF by setting the variable in the
.procmailrc, but I'd rather avoid situations where I'm increasing the
recommended buffer, and I don't really think most of these e-mails exceed the
buffer (unless I'm crazy, they don't look that big).
You don't indicate if doing this resolved the problem for you or not.
The default LINEBUF setting is nothing more than a default, based on
"reasonable" emails.  Sometimes, you really do need to change the defaults
- they're changeable for a reason.

Changing the LINEBUF to a higher setting (values of 4096 and 16384 at separate
times) resulted in the same error.  The procmailrc manpage reads as follows:
       LINEBUF     Length  of the internal line buffers, cannot be set smaller
                   than 128.  All lines read from the rcfile should not exceed
                   $LINEBUF  characters  before  and  after expansion.  If not
                   specified, it defaults to 2048.   This  limit,  of  course,
                   does not apply to the mail itself, which can have arbitrary
                   line lengths, or could be a binary file  for  that  matter.
                   See also PROCMAIL_OVERFLOW.
If the LINEBUF limit does not apply directly to the mail itself, then what
specifically triggers an overflow?

Thanks for you help,
=Dave=