Re: Need feedback on this recipe.

2003-06-24 18:51:57
At 21:29 2003-06-24 -0400, Dragoncrest wrote:
hehe. I don't have a man file for that on my machine. OH well, time to go googling.

You need to update your system then.  Here, I get:

$ man rtfm

RTFM(1)                   User Commands                   RTFM(1)

NAME
     rtfm - read the f*cking manual

SYNOPSIS
     rtfm [ -index | +chapter | +page ] manual

DESCRIPTION
     rtfm is a means by which answers to questions can  be  found
     without interrupting other users or  other  already  running
     processes.

     rtfm can be useful to anyone needing an answer to a question
     or a clarification on almost any subject.  It  can  also  be
     useful to anyone who wishes to offer similar information  to
     others in advance of their own questions  without  providing
     the entire text to them.

     Once used, rtfm imparts knowledge upon the user based on the
     manual referenced.  Depending on the  user's  retention  for
     knowledge, rtfm may not be required again  on  that  subject
     for several minutes or many years.

OPTIONS
          start at the reference index to compute the proper page
     +chapter, +page
          start at the given chapter or page number.

OPERANDS
     manual
          The reference device to use.  If no  manual  is  given,
          the process will attempt to access the default  device.
          If the default device contains no information or is not
          found, the process will attempt to  invoke  a  think(1)
          command at the system level for clarification.

FILES
     /dev/brain
          The default device.  This file often loses  information
          over time but its rate of decay is  inconsistent.   The
          use of rtfm often increases the store of information in
          the device or  reaffirms  information  already  stored.
          Failure to use rtfm over extended periods can  severely
          depelete the amount and length of retention.

WARNINGS
     Use of rtfm on those without a sense of humour may result in
     excessive corrections to the user's mindset.  To remedy such
     annoyances, the use of lart(1) is strongly recommended.

SEE ALSO
     think(1), lart(1)

Of course, I have several original "RTFM" tee-shirts, which always prompt someone to ask "what's RTFM?". <g>

FTR, there's a pile of humourous manpages at <http://internet.ls-la.net/>, though that isn't the source of this manpage.