RE: Bcc and it's pit falls

2003-07-01 15:29:41
There will be some privacy concerns with changing this.  People have an
expectation that a BCC is anonymous.  If you try to change that you
could have some very unhappy people looking for you.

IIRC, the BCC line is deleted by the outgoing MTA and that information
is put in the envelope information.  On your own there won't be a BCC
line for you to find, discover, match, etc.

What you can do within your own MTA is figure out how to capture all the
envelope addresses and put them in some kind of custom header line as
each mail item is received.  Mixed in those headers would be all the BCC
information.  This would allow you to match on them but not as BCC.
You'd have to have some other criteria.  An interesting one would be to
match addresses that show in the envelope but not in the To: or CC:
header lines.  Doing this destroys the B part of BCC...

I think the best way to go would be for sendmail to log all envelope
addresses (and in 8.12 if you log high enough, it might be in there - I
haven't looked).  A separate log file for envelope addresses would be a
nice touch.  The advantage here is that you could track mail delivery
behind the scenes but each mail item could be as anonymous as it is now.
I don't think you can do this within the sendmail.cf file.  Maybe with a
milter.

Dana Bourgeois