Re: System-Wide Logs for Procmail?

2003-09-20 14:29:17
At 05:10 2003-09-20 -0500, Bill Polhemus wrote:
It seems to work okay, but one thing I can't find is the LOGFILE for that
"stage" of procmail processing. I obviously have logfiles for each
$HOME/.procmailrc account setup (in $HOME/mail/log.procmail on my system. So
how to I set up and log the results of processing in the /etc/procmailrc
(system-wide) file?

Uhm, have you _SET_ LOGFILE= in it? If you don't set a LOGFILE, then procmail won't log.

Something like the following might be adviseable as the basic structure of your /etc/procmailrc:

# Global procmailrc  /etc/procmailrc

# For users who can't log in, they don't have a valid shell!  Override
# with something sensible.
ORGSHELL=$SHELL
SHELL=/bin/sh
NL="
"

LOGFILE=/etc/procmailrcs/procmail.log

# (set other variables as necessary)

# include rules (rather than dumping them directly into this file)
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmailrcs/virus.rc

# do this, or else the SHELL will remain redefined even when your own
# personal .procmailrc is used.  Be a good mushroom and undefine ORGSHELL.
SHELL=$ORGSHELL
ORGSHELL

# undefine other variables which you have set here - unless of course,
# you want them to remain defined for all users (though that's a terrible
# crutch, since users' rcfiles can break if you change something here).
NL

# undefine logfile (if we're heading off to the user's .procmailrc, if it
# exists, we don't want to log all their cruft when they make a mistake.
# When we make default deliveries (such as for users without .procmailrc
# files), we won't end up logging that - i.e. we'll log just the stuff
# which was conducted within the /etc/procmailrc
LOGFILE

# drop root privledges.  Specifically, this makes the message deliver as
# per the individual user without involving logging whether they have a
# .procmailrc or not.
DROPPRIVS=yes