Re: greylisting

2003-12-03 14:41:52
* Alan Clifford <lists(_at_)clifford(_dot_)ac> [2003-12-03 13:48]:

The concept is based on the premise that a normail mail server, on receipt
of a temporary failure, will try again whereas a spam generator has no
such sophistication and is a "send and forget" program.  So if you fail,
temporarily, every message the first time you see it, and accept each
message the second time you see it, the process will cut out a lot of
spam.

Ah.. sounds like a good idea!  I've been thinking I would like to
reply to spammers with a mailer-daemon looking response, thinking that
will get my address removed.  Ideally the message would get scored by
spamassassin first, so whitelisted addresses have no problems.

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
  password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )

You might consider using the mail-followup-to header instead of the
reply-to header.  The reply-to header is supposed to indicate where
you want *personal* responses sent, and the mail-followup-to header
indicates where you prefer to receive public responses.