Re: greylisting

2003-12-04 16:07:03
Toen ik David W. Tamkin kietelde, kwam er dit uit:

1. How soon will the other server retry?  That can seriously
delay time-sensitive email.

Normally at least 30 minutes (rfc2821). But read
  http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/greylist.html

Greylisting works with triples (IP, Sender, Recipient)
and only delays the first message from that triple.

See http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/
for sample implementations.

2. Will it work for procmail to generate a temporary failure after the
smtpd has accepted the message?  Doesn't the temporary failure have to
be reported during the SMTP transaction?

Greylisting should definetely be done at the SMTP-level. With procmail
I can find out how successful it would be. I am migrating from my ISP's
mailserver to my own.

I have this little test-recipe in my .procmailrc:
  http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvtol/xs4all/unstable/dot-procmailrc

  :0
  *! ^FROM_DAEMON
  {
    :0D
    * ^Subject: BouNceTest EXITCODE=\/(6[4-9]|7[0-36-8])\>
    * MATCH ?? ^^\/[0-9]+
    {
      LOG = "$ToLOG"
      EXITCODE = $MATCH
etc.

So if you send a message with the appropriate Subject
to my address, you'll receive the requested bounce.

You can find my exitcodes here:
  http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvtol/xs4all/unstable/pm/antivirus.rc

--
Affijn, Ruud