Re: greylisting

2003-12-03 15:27:36
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, David W. Tamkin wrote:

DWT> Then that raises two questions:
DWT>
DWT> 1. How soon will the other server retry?  That can seriously delay
DWT> time-sensitive email.

The concept assumes that temporary brokeness is part of the email world.
So a sending server that doesn't try again pretty sharpish is itself
broken.

DWT> 2. Will it work for procmail to generate a temporary failure after the
DWT> smtpd has accepted the message?  Doesn't the temporary failure have to
DWT> be reported during the SMTP transaction?

I don't know.  The original concept used Perl and Sendmail's milter
thingy I think.

The normal spam / antispam arms race arguments apply.  Spammers don't play
by the rules so they are going to retaliate, not by retrying the mail but
by sending the same spam twice.

--
Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
  password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )