Re: will the list admin please firewall 203.197.156.192 - 207

2004-02-02 13:07:41
At 12:13 PM 2.2.2004 -0600, Chris Barnes wrote:
Jack L. Stone <jacks(_at_)sage-american(_dot_)com> wrote:
Also, I would appreciate it if you would spend less time "lecturing"
and just answer the questions you feel like responding to, no matter
what your "powers of authority" may be.

*You* might appreciate it, but few others do.  I found his answer to be
quite informative and useful.

PS: it's never a good idea to piss off the person who has authority on a
list.

My main question remains unanswered. What is that scope of that
"authority"...? That's an exact question which has nothing to do with a
personal interpretation of what is considered a "lecture". It's a question
a subscriber should be entitled to ask when someone holds themselves out to
have some vague authority. Nor should implied authority be used to
belittle, be rude, intimidate and scold -- this being as you imply that I
should worry about retaliation if I ask this simple question about that
"authority." That would be a misuse/abuse of authority, wouldn't it? The
answer shouldn't be a classified state secret.

All replies so far have leaped over this main question in the first
paragraph of my original message. Perhaps I can get an answer from Mr.
Straw who the question was directed at since he requires the use of the
list to communicate with him.

I'm not oblivious to list etiquette and have hosted my own International
High-Tech lists which includes scientists, engineers, academics,
Universities (60+ Unis including tamu from time to time) research labs and
the like. This only matters because my opinion is not without merit with 8
years of experience dealing with nearly 200,000 on those lists. Everyone is
considered equal until a member starts to "talk down" to others. That
discourages participation and deprives the list of questions, answers and
thoughts that could be truly useful. We all start out as "newbies" at some
point and these Tech lists are vital for all levels.

If Mr. Straw doesn't want to define his "authority", then so be it.....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

Sage American