Re: will the list admin please firewall 203.197.156.192 - 207

2004-02-03 13:17:36
At 09:17 2004-02-03 -0600, Jack L. Stone wrote:

I had stopped with this issue with my second reply to others who had
decided answer for you while instead you spent time trying to dig up some
dirt instead of just answering the question yourself. In doing so I must

Checking my logs isn't "digging up dirt", esp when in response to a claim you made that I refuse(d) offlist contact, which was your excuse for posting your rants to the list.

ask another direct question for the record of these archives.

I really doubt anyone is checking the PROCMAIL archives looking for webhost providers, so if you have some mistaken belief that because I mentioned your source IP was found in several DNSBLs amounts to a blight on your reputation, you're mistaken. In case you've forgotten, this is a list about PROCMAIL.

Seeing as I am not retained as a contractor to your ISP, I don't see how I have _ANY_ responsibility whatsoever to do your research for you, in particular with regards to what DNSBLs your consumer broadband IP happens to be listed in on any given day.

Since the IP in question is not delegated to you, you'll find it rather difficult to get removed from many DNSBLs (most of which won't give you the time of day anyway, but certainly not if you're not even the netblock delegate of record). Further, the listing criteria of some DNSBLs have *NOTHING* whatsoever to do with a history of abuse from the specific IP - it can be other addresses within the netblock, a spam-friendly ISP, or the use classification of the netblock (such as "dialup" or "consumer broadband"). Some sites recognize that the consumers of an ISP should be sending their email through that ISP's mailserver, not directly from their own host. These sites suffer *MUCH* less spam and virus traffic through the use of such DNSBLs.

As a seasoned network administrator, I'm sure all of the preceeding is old hat to you. This in and of itself makes it that much more difficult to fathom why you'd demand that *I* identify what DNSBLs you're listed in. I simply used a couple of publicly accessible lookup tools to confirm if the sending host you use might have been listed in something. Your investigator should have no trouble finding similar tools.

This is my last message to you on this topic, and quite probably any other topic.