Re: How to bounce messages ?

2004-02-19 12:51:50
Toen ik Professional Software Engineering kietelde, kwam er dit uit:
Ruud H.G. van Tol:

Unless you can reject it, before the accept.

Er, I believe that was what he was saying - rejecting it at the initial
SMTP stage (EHLO -> MAIL FROM -> RCPT TO -> rejecto).

He tried, but failed. :)

To the original requestor: I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't
bounce messages in the cases of apparent spam or viruses

The OR did not specify why or what he needs to bounce. He did mention
fetchmail, so the SMTP-REJECT is not with him.

I don't see the SMTP-REJECT as a way of bouncing. To bounce a message
somewhere, even if that somewhere is 'back', the message needs to have
reached your borders. Bouncing is often catching-than-throwing.

Of cource, the result of an SMTP-REJECT is often some type of bounce of
some part and form of the message, at the end of the machine that couldn't
move the message on.

So when you REJECT, often a bounce will result, but you didn't bounce.

--
Affijn, Ruud