* ! ? $TEST -d "$some_directory" may not work (was: Re: "$" modifier on "?" conditions)

2004-03-27 02:18:30
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, 10:04 GMT-06 David W. Tamkin wrote:

I also didn't notice the superfluous quotation marks you
had put around the entire thing; that's why you needed the extra
interpretation pass.  Try this:

  * ! ? $TEST -d "$VIRUSDIR/EXE"

Some time went by, but I now found a case where that condition did
not work, but

        * $ ! ?$TEST -d "$VIRUSDIR/EXE"

did. So, the "$" modifier is in fact needed on such "?" conditions if
you want to be bulletproof. Also, without the "superfluous quotation
marks".

Could you pls tell where you have found that the "$" modifier would
not be required?

rob.