Re: 'test' considered as a SHELLMETAS "character"

2004-03-08 16:51:47
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004, David W. Tamkin wrote:

So I guess 'procmail' just does the same as 'which' would do and then
decides if it invokes the shell or not.

Er, no.  Two different reasons.

When procmail was compiled, autoconf did not see /bin/test in existence,
so it hard-coded procmail to consider "test" a shellmeta.  If you've
created a /bin/test since then, it won't affect procmail's behavior.  If
you recompile procmail now that /bin/test exists, though, that will
change it.

Thank you for making that clear! Now that I know procmail may consider
"test" a shellmeta, I am wondering if this fact is documented anywhere
or if you have found that out by studying procmail's source (I even
have not take a look inside it yet). I think this is worth to be
mentioned somewhere. May there be any other such SHELLMETAS "features" in
procmail (I will never take the word "bug" in my mouth here, being
afraid of Ruud ;-))?

BTW, I noticed your panix.com domain within your address, which I also
saw in Dallmann's - are you collegues (sorry for the misspellings I
may have done here)

rob.