Re: PATH - correction

2004-03-08 12:24:36
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004, 11:04 GMT-06 (18:04 local time) David W. Tamkin
wrote:

no /bin/test, but there is /usr/bin/test

Yes, that's my guess.  Maybe /bin is the only place where the build
procedure looks.  Ach, there it is in src/autoconf: it looks only for
/bin/test, and no other location counts.

I think I now can guess when procmail is behaving that way. For
testing purposes, I have created two softlinks to the real location of
test (/usr/bin/test) on the system in question which look like this:

$ ls -l /bin/test*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Mar  8 12:17 /bin/test ->
/usr/bin/test
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Mar  8 13:18 /bin/test2 ->
/usr/bin/test

After assigning

TEST = test

procmail invoked the shell:

procmail: Executing "test -d /home/roal/mail/TRASH/viruses/EXE"

while changing the assignment to

TEST = test2

resulted in avoiding the shell call:

procmail: Executing "test2,-d,/home/roal/mail/TRASH/viruses/EXE"

When I executed 'which test' on the shell, it gave no result, while
'which test2' pointed to /bin/test2.

So I guess 'procmail' just does the same as 'which' would do and then
decides if it invokes the shell or not. Just my theory because that
gives a logic for me.

But, then would remain the question for me why 'which test' did not
return anything (that was just on RH Linux 6.2, but not on RH EL 3,
nor on BSD/OS 4.2).

rob.