Re: Whitelist entry for yahoo address letting through yahoo spam..

2004-06-26 23:36:52
On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:56:44AM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

First off, the "H" flag is redundant.  The header is checked by default.

`H' without `B' is redundant (and sometimes destructive because of a
bug, but that's another story).  The header without the body is what's
checked by default.  `H' is not redundant when it's part of `HB'.

Yes, well, you're quoting out of context.  :-)  The original recipe
started with:

    :0 H

which, as we both say, is redundant.

If $DEFAULT is not a directory, you mean.  MH-style directories and
classic procmail directories also save each message in a separate file,
and they don't need lockfiles either.

Well, yes ... I suppose I was short-cutting for readability.  Most folks
recognize the term "Maildir" faster than they parse the concept of a
folder as a directory, and folks new to procmail rarely use MH-style
folders.  But yes, you're absolutely right.  My answer was incomplete.

 :0 fhw:
 * ? test -s $HOME/.whitelist
 * ? formail -rxTo: | grep -qsiFf $HOME/.whitelist
 $DEFAULT

Huh?  What are the `f' and `h' flags doing there?

Gah -- too much cut and paste, not enough proofreading.  My actual
recipe is more like:

  :0 fhw
  * ? test -s $HOME/.whitelist
  * ? formail -rxTo: | grep -qisFf $HOME/.whitelist
  | formail -A "X-whitelist: yes"

I then recognize the new header elsewhere.  I added the $DEFAULT to make
it more like the original sender's functionality and forgot to adjust
the flags.  Sorry for the confusion.

Dang, I never seem to be able to post anything right to this list.  :(

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>