Re: Autoresponder still doesn't work

2004-07-09 14:07:36
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 12:30:50PM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Michael J Wise wrote:

It has been my bitter experience that on some setups, formail isn't
in the path.  Why YES, it should be.  But sometimes, it isn't.

Now... which would you tweak?
What if one is NOT an admin?

I'd tweak PATH in .procmailrc by adding directories to the compiled-in
value, perhaps even at the beginning, but not by replacing it from scratch.

Yes, moi aussi.

Without meaning to patronize the many who know this sort of thing
like they know how to breathe, I'll nevertheless add the tip that
one can test for the path easily.  E.g., in the rc, place

  LOG = "
  PATH is $PATH
  "

and then look at the logfile.  Some systems with LAN-chained hosts
run a different procmail (on a different machine) on incoming mail
than they do on the local shell host, so be aware of that possibility,
too, and the possibility that values are different.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it: apologies for sticking an extra L
in Philip's first name.  (My brother spells it with two Ls.)

Dallman

---
(or use the self-test module at <http://vsnag.spamless.us> in the download area)