Re: Lockfiles are a lousy mechanism for write protection

2004-08-07 03:44:45
Some time around 08/06/2004 19:40:11, I think I heard Justin Gombos say:
I have to disagree with that.  The OS must protect its own resources
that it has custody over.  It cannot be the job of a kernel to protect
remote resources that a governed by another OS.  So the kernel lock
has to be enforced by the kernal that governs that system.

Well, the problem with that, as I see it, is that the process attempting to
access the file from the remote system does *not* interact with the filesystem
on the other end, but its own local fs and kernel conspire to make it
transparent that its accessing a local file, when in reality its going through
the network.  In this case, its local fs and kernel *must* be aware of file
access restrictions, from across the other end of the network, and therefore
the kernel where the file resides would have to tell the other kernel that the
file is locked.  And this is the limitation mentioned by Google Kreme.

        -dZ.

--
:[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- -  -

Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.