Re: Is procmail dropping messages?

2004-08-06 23:40:11
On 6 Aug 2004 Justin Gombos (mindfuq(_at_)zianet(_dot_)com) wrote:
This message Google Kreme sent was addressed to both myself and the
mailing list.  I would expect one of the messages to end up in my
duplicate filter, and the other to end up either in my personal box,
or the mailing list.  That's usually what happens.  However, I
received exactly one copy, which ended up in my personal inbox.  The
list message was not delivered anywhere.

Is it possible that procmail lost the message?  Under what conditions
would this happen, besides maybe a missing lockfile?

Some systems are configured to delete duplicate messages that go to the same final destination (after alias expansion, etc.). This happens even if the message arrives as 2 separate messages, e.g., one routed through a mailing-list server and one routed directly to you. Dreamhost does this and maybe FastMail.FM does this. So maybe your MTA is configured to do that?

Another possibility is that there's a procmail recipe, such as the one in 'man procmailex', to eliminate duplicates (but you'd probably know about that!).

Nancy
Infinite Ink
www.ii.com