Re: Is procmail dropping messages?

2004-08-07 00:20:26
* Nancy McGough <nm-reverse-spam-filter(_at_)ii(_dot_)deflexion(_dot_)com>
[2004-08-06 23:39]:

Another possibility is that there's a procmail recipe, such as
the one in 'man procmailex', to eliminate duplicates (but you'd
probably know about that!).

I filter mail through this recipe:

  :0 Whc: msgid.lock
  | formail -D 98192 msgid.cache

  :0 a:
  duplicates

It has been working until recently.  Dupes go into the duplicates
folder.  But now I'm concerned because two messages were sent to me
with the same message ID, and only one made it into my tree of
mailboxes.

I've also noticed a couple cases where someone sent me a single unique
message, and it was a false positive for a duplicate.  ie. it was
delivered to my duplicates folder, and it was the only copy.

When I was re-filtering mail a couple weeks ago, I noticed a message
get dumped into the wrong mbox.  So I isolated the message and
reprocessed it, at which point it was delivered to the correct box.
Regardless of whether it went to the correct box, it should have went
to the same place both times.

I'll have to watch things more closely.  I'm wondering if symmetrical
muliprocessing could be part of my issue.  Has anyone else w/ dual
processors noticed anything strange like this?