Re: [OT] Reply to header

2004-08-09 18:36:59
* Scott Wiersdorf <scott(_at_)perlcode(_dot_)org> [2004-08-09 17:14]:

See <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html> for some
interesting considerations in setting the Reply-To header for
mailing lists.

Thanks for posting that link.  I have found myself in disputes over
the reply-to issue multiple times; and it's nice to simply be able to
point to a link.

There is one point that is missing from that page.  It would be nice
if Rosenthal's article also documented the purpose of the
mail-followup-to header, which is the appropriate field to specify
where *public* replies should go.

The mail-followup-to field may not be addressed in an RFC, so I won't
call it a standard, but it is at least a convention (the only
convention in fact) for an author to state where public replies should
go.  It would be nice if Rosenthal would add the argument that
reply-to munging is really a case of hijacking a field that already
had another purpose in order to support capability already provided by
the mail-followup-to field.

I also think he should take advantage of this opportunity to bash
Outlook a little more, and state that it's senseless to make MTA
adjustments to cover for inadequite MUAs.  I think he implies this,
but since most of the population uses Outlook, and they should be
aware that Outlook specifically is a poor implementation of a mail
client.  I believe Outlook is the primary driver behind reply-to
munging mailing lists like Yahoo Groups.