Re: Sorting several lists into a common folder -- with a nice pretty name (was Re: Recipe problem)

2004-08-28 03:31:57
 and the occasional regex error (my fault) would have
messy consequences. I just prefer to do the logic once, and modify the
datafile.

Yes, I can see this being an advantage.

Rather than teaching them to
craft their own .procmailrc, I can put up a page telling how to create a
simple data file. If they botch that, they don't lose their mail and
blame me.

Good, too, though setting some variables isn't far behind. I'm not too
clear about the method you want to use for finding the distinctive
headers for each mailing list in a foolproof way.

LISTNAME="abc-xyz"
LISTSERVERDOMAIN="list.domain"
LISTFOLDER=$THISLISTS/$LISTNAME-List
INCLUDERC=$PROCDIR/lm_mailman.rc

I'm not sure I understand how this is working for you. You call a
different .rc based on the list manager you detect for the mailing list?

Yes. The "detect" is a manual operation though, but in most cases (esp
mailman, yahoo) you can tell the listmanager before subscribing. If you
can't determine it before subscribing, the first mail you get will tell
you.

How are you associating $LISTNAME with a specific list? Header matches?
Where's $LISTSERVERDOMAIN come into the picture?

These variables must be set by the user, the lm_<listmanager>.rc does
the rest, including matching list administrative mails (".. this
nonsense must be confirmed, please do X" I don't want to fill my
inbox). The variables are the list name, the domain of the list manager,
and the folder you want it saved to. You couldn't run on fewer variables
like those.

For the procmail lists, it's

###
#       Procmail announce                                       mailman
LISTNAME="procmail-announce"
LISTSERVERDOMAIN="lists.rwth-aachen.de"
LISTFOLDER=$LISTNAME-List
INCLUDERC=$PROCDIR/lm_mailman.rc
###
#       Procmail                                                mailman
LISTNAME="procmail"
LISTSERVERDOMAIN="lists.rwth-aachen.de"
LISTFOLDER=$LISTNAME-List
INCLUDERC=$PROCDIR/lm_mailman.rc

To save to a single folder, you could use

LISTNAME="procmail(|-announce)"
LISTSERVERDOMAIN="lists.rwth-aachen.de"
LISTFOLDER=procmail-List
INCLUDERC=$PROCDIR/lm_mailman.rc

instead.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.