Re: OT: Verizon (Was: Re: mimic a unknown user bounce)

2005-01-25 09:21:45
At 10:57 2005-01-25 +0100, Dallman Ross wrote:
am in the States -- once or twice a year.  For that, I've been paying $22/mo.
for a long time!  Stupid, I know.  (But I like my phone number!  It's got my
last name in it.)

Anyway, I'm now thinking I will cancel as soon as I can and tell them this
is the reason.

New laws in the US (which have been in effect for ~2 years or so) allow you to keep the telco number when you switch to a different provider. The telcos have been charging an extra fee for "number portability" - even back when I changed services but they hadn't rolled out the actual portability aspect (so I'd been paying, but didn't actually get to keep my number).

 "Verizon three million DSL customers waiting for emails from Europe
 were advised to use alternative forms of communication. "If it's really
 important you might want to make a phone call," [a spokesman] said."

FTR, European ISPs can theoretically circumvent verizon's "security" by setting up a mailertable entry to relay through a host in the US (which of course needs to be set up to relay for them). On more than one occasion, I've had to set up mailertable entries for some braindead ISPs that have misconfigured backup mx' (say, a mailhost that doesn't ACTUALLY accept mail for the domain it is configured as a backup for - so whenever the backup is used, it rejects mail).