Re: Replacing mail items

2005-06-06 16:21:49
Professional Software Engineering wrote:
[snip]

Something like (the following is NOT refined or useable AS-IS):

:0
* some_criteria_identifying_the_report
{
        RESULT=|some_script

        :0:
        $DEFAULT
}

the script would be something like:

        formail -s procmail -m purge_report.sh < /path/to/your/mailbox

[snip]

Yes, I think this is more along the lines I was thinking....

To fill in some blanks, yes, my mail messages are kept in mailboxes and I'm running sendmail/procmail and dovecot imap on a Fedora Core 3 Linux machine. I access the mail from other Linux laptops or desktops or Windows desktop, each of those using Thunderbird e-mail client when I'm on the LAN, or via Squirrelmail if I'm remote and need a web access to mail.

You've definitely given we something to start with here... seems I have a lot of reading/understanding to do to get this right. :-)

The reports are not kept in a separate folder, that might be a simple (manual) solution because then it's easy to identify/delete the older ones.... (But I like the automatic approach if I can make it work reliably)

Instead, the reports are in the same folder with other mail and so will be intermingled with other mail items. The idea is to automatically locate and delete the mail items made obsolete by the arrival of a new report.

Don