Re: new spam filtering rule

2005-06-29 10:52:35
At 11:09 2005-06-29 +0200, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:
With SMTP-rejecting off, I get a lot of messages with faked From:
addresses like that. But I only switch SMTP-rejecting off for testing
purposes. I SMTP-reject Korean IP-space. What kind of messages where
these ".es and .nl coming from korean IP space"?

Er, SPAM. That was the point of my comment pointing out all the wildly different origins of the TLDs - much of the stuff I'm seeing isn't even coming from places one would expect to be legitimate. Yes, automating the process of determining legitimate IP origins for a domain would be problematic (esp with so many personal domains and hosted-from-your-consumer-broadband connection servers not even having IP delegation).

One could take the TLD and perform a lookup in the appropriate nerd.dk ip blacklist and see if the relay host IP falls within there. If not, add some points (again folks, this isn't a positive confirmation unto itself!). Then, one could perform a DNS lookup of the MX's (which are admittedly, inbound mail hosts, not necessarily outbound) for the actual domain in question, and using nerd.dk (or similar), determine what countries they're assigned to (the 127.0.0.x codes are ISO country codes, IIRC). If different from the country which the relay host is in, bump up the points some more (identifying as a probable forgery).

A few others might chill out if they realized that this filtering is for mail arriving at _my_ mailboxes, not system wide. I don't profess wo know what international communication habits any other user of my systems has.

A higher adoptance of SPF would be really spiffy. A standards-based extension to DNS to publish outboud mail servers for a given domain would be really nice.