Ways to add new features

2005-11-11 19:17:41
Excerpt from the HISTORY file in SRB's latest SVN snapshot of procmail:

               - Always read in a new, global rcfile (/etc/procmail.conf)
                 to allow runtime configuration of variables like DEFAULT.
                 This rcfile cannot deliver or filter messages

This is exactly the sort of new feature of which I strongly approve.

It's 100% transparent to old installations (if procmail.conf doesn't
exist, nothing changes).

It's relatively easy to make transparent to old recipe files; all
that's required is a little care in naming of variables created in
procmail.conf.

It has an important component (cannot deliver or filter) that it's not
possible to emulate with any existing feature.

It can be leveraged to greatly expand procmail's repertoire.  For
example, it's now possible to preload sets of regular expression rules
(stored in variables), such as Ruud's date parser or my RFC822 address
parser.  If this feature had been available before, hacks like the ^TO
and ^TO_ macros might never have been necessary.

More like this, please.