RE: Ways to add new features

2005-11-14 08:50:41

From: Google Kreme
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 2:33 AM

* DNSBL lookups

Everything else on your list I can go with, but this is way outside
the scope of procmail and I would NOT want to see it included.

Although I'm a bit of an agnostic on this, a case can be made that
many users don't have root access, yet still want to do their own
mail filtering (mainly to fend off spam).  Those same users may not
have Spamassassin, or don't want to learn yet another mail filtering
package.

Ruud's suggestions on another thread imply a function syntax that
might offer the hooks for adding features like this to procmail
and (...shudder...) even plug-ins could be contemplated.

* handling encoding specifications in headers - they tend to just
throw
  everything

Full MIME support, in fact.

Although I like the idea of supporting MIME and attachment
processing, I think this will be a very difficult area in
terms of coming up with a workable interface.  Worthwhile,
but difficult.

* having formail as a separate program seems rather silly

Perhaps, but it certainly makes some things rather good, and the
logic of it makes sense to me.  I don't see how it hurts anything, at
least.

I really hate how long it takes for
   formail -s procmail
to run on a large mailbox.  I've posted separately, based upon
some experiments a potential speedup of 10x, when formail can avoid
creating a new process.  I suggested that formail and procmail can
be combined, and they would differ in function based upon the
program name when they're called.