Re: RFE: new features for procmail

2005-11-14 08:19:10
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Gary Funck wrote:

        Thanks Gary for the summary.

Attempting to consolidate the "who is the maintainer?"
and "ways to add new features" threads:

[...]

Gary adds:
- [...]
- Add builtin features which make it easier to perform frequently needed
 operations, such as vacation processing, auto-replies, mailing list
 determination and sorting.  In particular, the builtin operations would
 make sure an X-loop is added, and so on.

        It will make procmail to be an heavy monster, isn't?  I suggest
        to add more templates to the examples in the distribution pack
        where you can catn`paste or include.

- Add a "lint" option to procmail, to have it scan the rc file for
 blatant errors and to diagnose possibly unsafe/incorrect recipes,
 without actually executing the script.

        Not option but separate command.  I think we have diferent
        philosophy  (:-)

        My addition:
         - Strip HTML, like lynx -dump where "hel<big></big>lo"
           will be found as "hello".   Say:  * L ?? hello
         - If procmail will not mix the records in the logfile
           I would be satisfied.

         BTW. did you read RFC3028?  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3028.html
         Maybe you'll find more idea about parsing a message to variables.
         It will be nice if we can write the rules that we want by high
         level language and translate it automatically to procmailrc recipes.

Bye,
  Udi