Re: new features for procmail

2005-11-17 17:41:10
At 23:24 2005-11-17 +0100, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:
Yes, but a next step is the URLs in the body. I use procmail also to
report 'fresh' spam to SpamCop, and the least handwork involved the
better.

[snip]

Please explain how you got from my 'the least handwork' to 'automated'.

Hey, if you're actually forwarding messages from your inbox to a special
alias (or processing a manually generated MBX using formail and procmail*),
fine.  I'm not entirely sure of what you'd be gaining from procmail
manipulating the messages, but perhaps you're zapping your own mailserver
and email address details from the messages.

Fact is, the discussion of antispam features in procmail, and your mention
of body scanning for URLs - in the breath before mentioning using procmail
for reporting to SpamCop - sure makes it sound like an automated
process.  You are welcome to simply state that you DON'T auto process
suspect messages for submission to SpamCop.  My opposition to automated
spam reporting still stands though, regardless of whether you are using
automated methods or not.

* Eudora uses unix MBX format for its mailboxes, and I move junk from other
mailboxes to a junkmail folder when I encounter the occasional spam - this
mailbox can be copied back up to the server and processed as a confirmed
spam corpus (and importantly, is spam that originally got past the filters
- the more of it that gets caught after revision of filters, the better)