Re: new features for procmail

2005-11-17 15:35:29
Professional Software Engineering:
Ruud H.G. van Tol:
R.G. Ball:

Ach! Stay away from spam stuff. It is too much of a moving target
and is much better handled by specialized tools (even if those
tools are written in procmail). As several people have pointed out,
very effective spam filters can be created using some smart scoring
of the headers without ever looking at the body.

Yes, but a next step is the URLs in the body. I use procmail also to
report 'fresh' spam to SpamCop, and the least handwork involved the
better.

Er, the only spam which MIGHT possibly be a candidate for automated
reporting is stuff sent to spamtrap addresses, and with all the
malware out there that harvests email addresses and sends stuff out
FROM: these addresses, all it takes is some cluebie sending a reply
to some spam
message ("please don't send this stuff to me.  Thanx." <g>) to get
legit people sending messages to spamtraps.  Thus, there's no really
legit automated reporting mechanism which can be relied upon to NOT
report non-spam.  Even if you use a high SA scoring only, what is the
assurance that it isn't someone REPORTING a spam incident?

Please explain how you got from my 'the least handwork' to 'automated'.

--
Grtz, Ruud