Re: new features for procmail

2005-11-17 07:23:17
R.G. Ball:

Ach! Stay away from spam stuff. It is too much of a moving target and
is much better handled by specialized tools (even if those tools are
written in procmail). As several people have pointed out, very
effective spam filters can be created using some smart scoring of the
headers without ever looking at the body.

Yes, but a next step is the URLs in the body. I use procmail also to
report 'fresh' spam to SpamCop, and the least handwork involved the
better.

My 'fresh' spam is the spam that comes through after the standard
anti-spam techniques such as DNSBL, DCC, SpamAssassin had their go. The
faster these are reported, the more profit for the world. I am thinking
of moving this to Perl though.

I like using procmail but I don't
like writing complicated recipes in it.

Use INCLUDERCs. The good ones use (global) 'namespace_VARs' (and
internally (local) '_namespace_VARs').

Example: the value of the From_ line can be found in H_POSTMARK
after INCLUDERC = 'H.inc' (or maybe call it H_parse.inc).

The (hypothetical) H.inc will by default also set H_POSTMARK_ADDRESS,
H_POSTMARK_DATE, H_POSTMARK_ADDRESS_HOST, H_POSTMARK_DATE_YYYY,
H_RECEIVED_COUNT etc. etc. etc.

To limit what H.inc parses, give it a parameter like:

  H_inc = 'POSTMARK,DATE'
  INCLUDERC 'H.inc'

to make it "only" set all the H_POSTMARK* and H_DATE* vars.
:)

--
Grtz, Ruud