Re: Ways to add new features

2005-11-14 17:56:58
On 14 Nov 2005, at 14:43 , Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
UTF-8 no BOM.

BOM?

Byte Order Mark.  UTF-8 file snormally have characters at the
beginning of the file that identify it as utf-8, these characters
will confuse anything expecting 7 bit data, so you save the UTF-8
file without the BOM.

 Why?  Because then ISO-8859-1 files 'just work' as
they are.

Oouuuch. Let me tell you, 8859-1 is **NOT** a subset of utf-8! In
fact,
switching from 8859-1 to utf-8 is a pain and a half. If you don't know
why, you've obviously only ever used the bottom half of 8859-1.

Yeah, I misspoke.  ASCII files 'just work'.

--
There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don’t know
what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be