Re: OT: removing file attachments

2006-01-04 11:40:40
Hi there,

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 Mr Duck wrote:

G.W. Haywood wrote:
If you use mimedefang you can do whatever you want with the parts
individually.  And you can do lots of other useful stuff too.

From what I've been reading, mimedefang requires sendmail,
correct?

Correct.

Can it be used as a standalone script?

Well you've probably seen that it's open source... :)  I wouldn't want
to offer an opinion on that without extensive study that I'm afraid I
can't afford the time to make.  If you're capable of writing code in C
and Perl then you could use a lot of the code that's already there and
working to get you started.  But life is short and I wouldn't dream of
doing it, although I cut my teeth as a C programmer 30 years ago... :(

If I have to link it in with sendmail, I'd rather not use it,
because it took me too long to get sendmail working correctly in the
first place. (=

I understand how you feel if you're new to sendmail.  Actually sendmail
administration isn't very difficult once you get the hang of it, but it
has a pretty steep learning curve.  The situation isn't helped by the
fact that the documentation, although fairly complete, is rather messy
and it takes time to find your way around it.  There's a big thick book
with a fruit-bat on the cover but I never found it very much help.  For
some strange reason that bat does come to mind when I'm fighting my way
through all those sendmail README files...

If you're using sendmail I'd recommend taking some time to get to grips
with it, as it makes available a number of very powerful ways to deal
with the more unsavoury aspects of having an Internet connection.

Hey, we said this was OT, remember?  Mail me privately if you need any
more pointers on sendmail.  Apologies to the list for the noise.

73,
Ged.