RECIP vs $RECIP

2006-07-10 08:32:46
I got to experimenting with the $RECIP thingy and I'm at a loss.
$RECIP seems to work and RECIP seems to fail for me, so it looks
like the ISP had it correct (at least for this scenario).

I set the perl and fall-thru (last forward) to RECIP and admin and
the rest to $RECIP and sent 3 emails to perl, admin and fubar (all
at the same domain).

Result: admin ($RECIP) gets forwarded and the other two fail (RECIP).
If I make them all $RECIP, they all work.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that RECIP is set in the
calling/including root script (RECIP=$1) ?

Home dir .procmailrc (setup by ISP) :

# <domain> is really my irrelevent domainname
# all end-of-line comments were added for posting info

INCLUDERC=/etc/ALAquota/overquotarc
RECIP=$1        # this appears to be the recipient's full address
MAILDIR=$HOME/<domain>-mail
INCLUDERC=.procmailrc

Maildir .procmailrc (initially setup by ISP - this is not my new version yet) :

DOMAIN=(<domain>.com)

MAIN_DOMAIN=<domain>.com

INCLUDERC=.rc.local.init   # this file doesn't seem to exist in this dir

:0
* $RECIP ?? ^^perl(_at_)$DOMAIN # $RECIP - works - gets forwarded
        !fwd1(_at_)somewhere

* RECIP ?? ^^admin(_at_)$DOMAIN # RECIP - fails - no forward, make it $RECIP
and it works again
        !fwd2(_at_)somewhere
}

# skip a few more of the same (comment added)

:0
* $RECIP ?? ^^(_dot_)*(_at_)$DOMAIN     # works as shown, fails if $ removed
        !fwd3(_at_)somewhere

PS: Can these be abbreviated to 3 lines (since ! is an action) ?  :

:0
* $RECIP ?? ^^(_dot_)*(_at_)$DOMAIN
!fwd3(_at_)somewhere