Re: how to filter out threads that I initiated or I participated in?

2009-04-07 20:45:34
At 19:59 2009-04-07 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
I set color for messages "from" me:
  color index   cyan   default '~f paka(_at_)wahoo(_dot_)no-ip(_dot_)org'
   # From me
color index green default '~h in-reply-to:.*wahoo.no-ip.org' # Replied to me

Don't forget References:

As ones own messages normally get delivered to oneself from a mailing list, you should be able to construct a message-id cache of messages which are From: YOU, then use those to match against References:. Some stuff can still slip through the cracks if the listserve (or your own host) experiences mail delays which result in mail arriving out of sequence - the message From: you may arrive in your own inbox AFTER on-list replies to it...

Additionally, whenever you receive a message authored by you which is on a mailing list (in my case, setting LISTNAME using list-id.rc), you could extract the Subject: line to a list-specific file and attempt to match it against subsequent messages from that list. I have no specific code to offer here, but I'm fairly certain something like this has been discussed on this list in the past. This would help to catch replies on a thread which themselves are not replies to your own post on that same thread:

        OP
        reply to OP from User 1
        * Your reply
        * Some user replies to you
        Some user replies to OP or to the first reply (neither of which will
                bear a References: including your info)
        * Some user replies to the reply to you

Lines marked with asterisks would be picked up by a References: filter (including the logic for From: you that seeds the rule), but the others would not.