Re: how to filter out threads that I initiated or I participated in?

2009-04-08 16:11:47
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:59:12PM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Zhengquan Zhang <zhang(_dot_)zhengquan(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> [04-08-09
15:47]:
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:28:36PM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

That's because gmail does not consider your posts a new mail when
received.  A simple work-a-round is to not use gmail smtp, but relay

I use mutt to reply mailing list emails using my gmail address and the
email would appear new in the gmail inbox..

are you sending the mail thru gmail (smtp.gmail.com), or thru your
internet provider's mail system?
I don't understand the difference in these two situation.
But I am using postfix to sendmail from mutt.
I used to use msmtp to sendmail and I remember that I have put

account gmail
host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
from zhang(_dot_)zhengquan(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
auth on
user zhang(_dot_)zhengquan(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

in .msmtprc

but now I am using postfix and I am not providing this info anymore to
postfix resource files.

via your provider and use a gmail "From:" addr.  At least that is what

my reply to mailing list showed that it has a gmail "From:" line in the
header..

I can put *any* address I wish in the "From:" line and it will appear
in the header, but does not mean that is where the mail is actually
from.
Ah! I didn't know this, that said, a spammer can put my name in the from
line and in fact it was not me sending the spam?

I do and I see mail on the lists that I post.

due to my limited knowledge, there is some confusion, But thanks for the
suggestions!

Then explain your confusion that we may make things clear.  Your
deference to "confusion" is helping no one, especially your
understanding to the situation.
Thanks, I thought the reason I had some confusion is that I had no
relevant concepts. I will explain them more precisely in the future.

If you post to this mail list via a gmail address and using gmail's
smtp, you will not see your post in the list mail on gmail's web mail
or via their imap server as it is a duplicate of your original post.
Gmail stores that post under "sent mail" and nowhere else.
That is very true! if I send or reply list mails on gmail web interface,
it is not listed as new. But now I am using postfix to send mails.

To see these posts in list mail, you must follow the procedure I
offered earlier.

If you do not understand this, confusion, question that which you do
not understand so we may explain.
Thanks once again for your detailed explanation.

--
Zhengquan