Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 17:01:47
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Richard B. Emerson
<system(_at_)pinefields(_dot_)com> wrote:

Yes, the mail is collected via fetchmail.  Frankly, at this point I don't
know for sure who gets their hands on the mail queue after fetchmail
delivers it.  I have always assumed that sendmail sees messages queued up
and munches through the queue, passing the individual messages through
procmail as sendmail processes each incoming message.  Given how sparse
procmailrc is, I doubt it's the next app to see the mail after fetchmail.

At this point one question is, what's actually in your fetchmail
configuration?  Is fetchmail in fact invoking sendmail (and if so, for
what user(s)?), or is it calling procmail directly?

My plan is to look at each message after it's
been collected and fine tune the destination based on either the problem
with the Delivered-To field or to duplicate mail for one address to another
address.  It seems to me this is at the end of the mail handling process,
not the front.

Procmail *should* be at the end of the process, yes.  It should be the
last thing to touch the mail before it ends up in a mailbox file,
except in cases of forwarding.

Question:  What procmail recipe is used to perform final delivery of
the mail when the To: header actually does have the local user address
in it?

AFAIK, that's sendmail's job.

No, it's not sendmail's job.  It's the job of the local delivery
agent, which in this case appears to be procmail.  It's sendmail's job
to choose the local delivery agent and to run that agent with the
correct local user identity.

To repeat myself ... is fetchmail invoking procmail directly, or is
fetchmail running sendmail which runs procmail?  And if the latter,
how is the "correct local user" being determined in the cases where
you are NOT having a problem?