Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 17:11:59

Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 14:52 2010-01-08 -0500, Richard B. Emerson wrote:
Looking at this matter further, I'd like to focus on the bounce loop
problem.  That is, why does a bounce loop form here?

Well, if you want to focus on the bounce, I suggest you go looking in
comp.mail.sendmail or someplace appropriate to the application that is
generating the error message.  PROCMAIL isn't generating the bounce.
I'm waking up to that.  I'd hoped it would help with cleaning up the
aftermath but it looks as though that's turning into nailing jelly to
the wall.

# Send bulk mail with DeliveredTo to the intended recipient
:0
  | formail -A "X-Loop: Delivered-To Forward Control" | \
    $SENDMAIL -oi pavilion(_at_)pinefields(_dot_)com

Why doesn't the test for X-Loop succeed?

BECAUSE THE BOUNCE MESSAGE IS FROM THE MAILER_DAEMON, AND DOES NOT
CONTAIN THE HEADER - it'll appear in the BODY of the bounce.
OK.

This recipe (which copies mail for pavilion to another address, u100)
works and uses the same basic structure.  (Ignore that it's commented
out for the moment)  It sends a message to pavilion and copies it to
u100 without building a bounce loop.

# Duplicate all mail to pavilion on u100

You should use the MTA for this - set up a virtusertable entry for
pavilion that delivers to two local users.
OK.  Not knowing much about virtusertable entries, I passed but I guess
I'll invest some google time on that.  :-)

- Sean ( not fond of using chisel handles as hammers ) Straw
Cheers,
Rick (beats using chisels as screwdrivers) Emerson

 Procmail disclaimer:
<http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html>
 Please DO NOT carbon me on list replies.  I'll get my copy from the
list.