Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 14:09:36
At 13:35 2010-01-08 -0500, Richard B. Emerson wrote:
While it's possible this is an MTA (sendmail here) issue, I have no idea
what caused the problem.  That is, I haven't made any changes to
sendmail or to procmail (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).  Of course,
there's a chance that a maintenance update has broken things.

Sendmail 8.14.4 was released on 30 December. As of this past weekend when I was doing a mail server config for someone, the updated package hadn't yet made it into the stream for their distribution (and I just checked, still hasn't). I'd check the MTA version you're using. The message you sent to this list doesn't bear your local server headers.

The idea was to use procmailrc to work around the problem: if there's a

What I don't fathom is why you need to do that - at the point procmail is being invoked, who is the LDA trying to deliver it to if not the intended recipient AT THE SAME ADDRESS YOU'RE TRYING TO FORWARD TO? Surely the MTA figured it out (it was in the envelope recipient list when the message was passed to it via SMTP).

Ugly and brute force, I agree, but I'll take "works" over "elegant" right now.

Well, uhm, I hate to be the one to point this out, but your brute force approach doesn seem to be working. Therefore, spending a bit of time on doing it _correctly_ might prove to be a better investment.

Most of the mass mailings we see do use To: and all is well with them.
However, at least three sources rely on Delivered-To:; I'm not likely to
get Google, Yahoo, or the US Coast Guard to revamp their mailing
processes to suit me.

These headers DO NOT DEFINE HOW THE MAIL IS HANDLED BY YOUR MTA. The envelope data does, and that isn't necessarily relayed in the message headers.