Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 13:46:41

Please reply to list. This reply is to list...

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Richard B. Emerson wrote:
: Actually, the example note has To: baba-l(_at_)yahoogroups(_dot_)com not To:
: chris(_at_)pinefields(_dot_)com(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)

The To header is irrelevant. Mail to this list is addressed "To:" the
list. But the *envelope* (which is captured in your system as a
header "Delivered-To:" is the real recipient.

: ... The intent of the recipe below is to take a message containing

The 'Delivered-To' means it is ALREADY being delivered to that address!
Your MTA (sendmail) should have invoked procmail on behalf of the
'Delivered-To' user. And this should *not* depend on the "To:" header in
any way....

: "if X-Loop:..." is present, don't forward the It should keep a
: forwarding loop from forming.  Why this isn't the case is part of my
: problem.

Unless the forwarding loop is occurring *outside* of procmail!

: Why am I using sendmail?  Because that's the way it was set up with SuSE
: Linux 11.1, which is what I'm running here.

No, no, why are you SENDING the mail you just received, rather than
delivering it directly to the recipient's mailbox? IE:

:0
*(conditions)
$USER/inbox

: Again, keep in mind that however strange things may have been here (with
: sendmail and procmail), until very recently, it all worked as it should.

Any time I encounter *this* condition, I always ask, "what changed?"
Look in your logs for *anything* being updated around that time.

Remember it is the recipient's shell invoked for things like 'formail', so
even if you changed permissions or the 'path' for a user shell, it could
have an impact... ANYTHING that changed....

- C