Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 14:32:51
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Richard B. Emerson wrote:
: OK, I can go with that.  However, my test for "delivered-ness" is "is
: message in /var/mail/recipient?"

What DO the logs say? What USER and what DEFAULT mailbox is being used?

: > Unless the forwarding loop is occurring *outside* of procmail!
: Well, OK, but... don't the conditions "matched Delivered-To and matched
: X-Loop" keep the message from going anywhere?  Or, what recipe will do this?

For example, if the envelope recipient has a .forward file, sendmail will
deliver to that, and procmail will not be invoked. If someone puts a
custom script in their .forward..... anything could happen.

: I'm confused.  I think the delivery process is
: Do fetchmail to get mail from ISP
: Sendmail examines intake from fetchmail
: Sendmail passes mail through procmail filtering (e.g., spam checks via
: spamassassin [now commented out entirely - SA is too quick to reject
: good mail])
: Mail finally lands in file for pickup (/var/mail/username)

Good, good, except, of course, the last line is a function of procmail.
So there is no reason to 'resend' the mail from 'chris' TO 'chris'.
No need to use 'sendmail'. Just deliver to /var/mail/chris, right?

: Understand that at the moment procmailrc has nothing in it but
: VERBOSE=ON
: # Send bulk mail with DeliveredTo to the intended recipient
: :0
: * ^Delivered-To: pavilion(_at_)pinefields(_dot_)com
: * !^X-Loop: Delivered-To Forward Control
:   | formail -A "X-Loop: Delivered-To Forward Control" | \
:     $SENDMAIL -oi pavilion(_at_)pinefields(_dot_)com
:
: That's it.  Nothing else.  V. plain vanilla.  :-)

But by the time this recipe executes you have one of two possibilities:

1) It's already being delivered to the correct recipient because the
'Delivered-To' header is passed to procmail as the 'recipient' of the
e-mail, or,
2) Some error/problem in sendmail is causing the selection of an incorrect
user as final recipient.

By the by, just to be VERY clear, when you say mail is being delivered to
'system@' you DO mean the ORIGINAL mail and NOT some error report?

: If I knew what was different I'd try to back it out.  In the mean time,
: I'm looking for a workaround.

Then just set the folder as described. Using sendmail as you have, gives
the error another chance to occur. :(

- C