Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 14:45:06
At 12:16 2010-01-08 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:

So the new recipe attempts to discern the local user by examining the
delivered-to header because there is no local user in any of the
headers matched by the ^TO_ macro.

The question is, is Delivered-To: inserted at his sendmail (formail->sendmail->procmail), or is it inserted by his upline ISP? Ultimatley, I guess it doesn't really matter, because among those in the know, we know this forwarding approach only leads to more problems...

If one *MUST* forward, perhaps the solution would be to invoke $SENDMAIL *WITHOUT A DOMAIN QUALIFIER* on the user address, so that the local sendmail config doesn't attempt DNS resolution to find an MX, upon which it discovers that the message isn't LOCAL?

At a shell:

sendmail -bv chris chris(_at_)pinefields(_dot_)com

If the FQDN doesn't report as local delivery (as the unqualified one should), then you're pumping that message off to somewhere else just to get it back. That's, in a word, silly. There's a few other words that could be used as well.

BTW, 'host -t MX pinefields.com' reports:

pinefields.com mail is handled by 10 inbound.pinefields.com.netsolmail.net.

So, chances are, when delivering mail for @pinefields.com from the local system, it's being pumped off to that netsolmail.net host. However verizon gets into the mix is news to me - is it possible that netsol forwards it to a dropbox at your broadband ISP?

Message ID and SMTP transaction codes could all come into play with a loop detection at Verizon. The solution is to NOT forward mail when there's no clear need to do so.