Re: Broken mass mailings - Delivered-To: issue

2010-01-08 14:59:26
At 15:29 2010-01-08 -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
By the by, just to be VERY clear, when you say mail is being delivered to
'system@' you DO mean the ORIGINAL mail and NOT some error report?

I'm suspecting his /etc/procmailrc is loaded with goodies using ^TO expressions, and failing to find an appropriate one, drops them into system.

Since his SMTP (and thus envelope data) stops with the upline mail provider, the change in how his mail is functioning doesn't depend on ANY local changes to his system - if an upline provider used to deliver with X-Apparently-To: and now uses Delivered-To:, etc, it could have thrown him a curve if he's been using procmail as an MTA.

One could do something like the following near the top of the /etc/procmailrc:

# if pinefields domain doesn't match ^TO, but there IS a Delivered-To for us
:0fw
* ! ^TO:(_dot_)*(_at_)pinefields\(_dot_)com
* ^Delivered-To:[       ]\/(_dot_)*(_at_)pinefields\(_dot_)com
| formail -i"X-Apparently-To: $MATCH"

This would insert an X-Apparently-To containing the Delivered-To address, which would cause further ^TO recipes to properly match (since X-Apparently-To is part of the ^TO macro).

This is untested - and frankly, I debate offering it, but if this would prevent the OP from thinking they need to forward messages to get them to deliver, then it's a step in the right direction.