RE: new RR type

2003-10-10 12:43:18
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Arlie Davis wrote:

SPF is far closer to a "service" than a TXT record.  TXT records are
COMPLETELY unstructured, and never, ever should have been defined in the
first place.

There are exactly useful and needed because it allows people to put in
anything without structure. For instance, when IETF fucked up the KEY
record, and disallowed all applicatins but DNSSEC to use it, even though it
had defined it for IPSEC, it was useful to be able to fall back on TXT
records. (See "Frees/WAN Opportunistic Encryption")

We went through all this hell with HTTP and the stupid www. convention,
just because we didn't have the SRV record when HTTP hit.

I am pretty sure SRV predates HTTP, but I can't be bothered to look it up :)

Please don't make the same mistake.

It's quite different anyway. Who cares if *computers* need to look up
fake domains. As long as *humans* don't need to type things like www for
a website.

Paul