Re: Accelerating SPF deployment

2003-10-15 01:08:16
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:46:36AM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

We're very near the point where publicity will take on a life of its
own.  If we're going to rename SPF to something like OMX (Outbound MX)
now is the time.  Does anyone think the project would be materially
served by so doing?

Actually I think it would be harmed. On the mailing lists I frequent, SPF
has been mentioned and has stirred up a large amount of correspondence.

Similarly to the /. threads, the initial reaction is bad, but enough good
people seem to be converted to do a job on the waverers. There will always
be the ones who resist until they have no choice (as there were with open
relays), but I think the idea and the name have gained enough traction now.
Changing the name at this stage would lead to a lot of the good work that's
been done on those lists being undone, IMO.

I guess that means that I reckon the publicity already *has* taken on a life
of its own; all it needs now is a stable implementation and a fanfare of
trumpets to announce it. And an RFC would certainly help, although not
essential.

Before you put SPF on your webpage I want SPF to be fully implementable:
the spec must be finalized and the reference code stable.  Let's see
where we are at the end of the week and then we can splash it.

Glad to hear it; you only get one free bite of this kind of cherry.

Cheers,

Nick